In pursuance of the provisions of rule 389 and other rules of the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business in Lok Sabha and under his inherent powers, the Speaker of Lok Sabha has been issuing directions from time to time for regulating, subject to the provisions of the rules, certain matters not specifically provided for in the rules and also certain matters relating to the detailed working of the rules.
2. The First Edition of the Directions was brought out in 1956 and the Second Edition in 1957. The Second Edition was reprinted in 1962, 1967 and 1971.
3. The Third Edition of the Directions incorporating all the amendments made upto March, 1977 was brought out in 1977.
No amendments were made nor new Directions issued during the Sixth Lok Sabha.
4. During the Seventh Lok Sabha, the Speaker, under rule 389, issued a new Direction regarding authentication of papers to be laid by private members. It had been incorporated in the reprint of the Third Edition.
5. During the Eighth Lok Sabha, the Speaker, under rule 389 issued certain new Directions and also made amendments to certain Directions. These had been incorporated in the Fourth Edition.
6. During the Ninth Lok Sabha, the Speaker, under rule 389,made certain amendments to Direction 10A regarding admissibility of questions. These amendments were incorporated in the ‘January, 1995 Reprint’, of the Fourth Edition.
No amendments have been made nor new Directions issued in this ‘March, 2004’, Edition.
7. Words and expressions used in the Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business in Lok Sabha and also in these Directions shall, unless the context otherwise requires, have the meaning assigned to them in the Rules.