SHRI TRILOCHAN KANUNGO (JAGATSINGHPUR): Prognosticated hydrocarbon resources of Mahanadi in on-shore and off-shore areas being explored by Oil India Ltd., have been calculated as 515 MMT and 1200 MMT respectively and in view of the fact that after 265 unproductive well drilling in Assam, Nahan-Katiya discovery catapulted this sleepy semi-town into fame and on the oil maps of the world. I strongly suggest the following programme of activities until the first discovery of oil and gas in the highly prospective Mahanadi on-shore and off-shore basins.
1. Exploratory wildcat drilling be resumed in onland Mahanadi Basin prognostically reserves 500 MMT at an optimally chosen location on the basis of the existing data base and leads by the end of March, 2000. Exploratory Wildcat Drilling at other location similarly chosen be continued until first discovery of hydrocarbons in the onland Mahanadi Basin.
2. Exploratory Wildcat Drilling be resumed in the Mahanadi Offshore prognostically reserves 1200 MMT by September, 2000 in those blocks for which no bids are received by May, 1999 as specified in the NIT of the Ministry of Petroleum.
3. Exploratory Drilling and other activity like survey etc., be resumed by June, 2000 by materialising joint venture operation with bidders for offshore blocks or alone by OIL.
4. Data Base be integrated, updated and upgraded by incorporating latest technology wherever needed, both in Mahanadi Onshore and Offshore on a continuing basis.
5. In the meantime the drilling and chemical materials and equipment kept at Paradip godowns should not be moved out of Paradip. A senior technical head DGM/GM rank and executives of various Departments should be posted at BEP, Orissa immediately.